Audrey B. Butler Memorial Scholarship
The Audrey B. Butler Memorial Scholarship was started in memory of Audrey B. Butler, by Jackie and Eddie White and Larry Butler. The purpose of the scholarship is to provide an annual award to at least one scholarship applicant. The scholarship funds will be sent directly to the attending university, college, or certification program for the sole purpose of paying educational expenses. The current estimated value of the Scholarship is $1,000.00.
About Audrey B. Butler
Audrey Billups Butler was born to Mary Lee Luter and Joseph Lang Billups. She graduated from Ivor High School and was in the first graduation class in 1952 from Louise Obici School of Nursing. She was the Administrator of Nansemond Rehabilitation Center and Hillcrest Retirement Center for 35 years.
There are so many stories of her sacrifice and caring nature. In 1976 the Swine Flu was running rampant in the country; the virus made people violently ill. Audrey set up a protocol with all the patients and staff at the nursing and was watching each one for any sign of the flu, starting and giving IV’s to those in need. She made the decision to lock down the nursing home to all visitors and non-essential employees for two weeks. No one from corporate or the state told her to do so. Families were upset as you can imagine, but they had confidence in Audrey Butler and her staff and knew that she was doing the right thing for their family member. They didn’t lose one patient during that time. Not one.
Audrey was married to Levie Leslie “Jack” Butler, Jr., and is survived by her daughter Jackie Butler White and husband Eddie; son Larry J. Butler; grandsons Charles E. White III and Jack Robert Butler; granddaughters Lindsey Elizabeth White, Grace Elizabeth Butler, and Megan Audrey Butler; Kathleen Butler mother of Jack, Grace and Megan; nephew Daryl Billups and wife Kim, Douglas Billups and wife Leisa; great nephews Tyler and Cody Billups and great niece Samantha and Jenna Billups.
Each scholarship applicant must, at the time of the award:
- Be a senior in one of Suffolk, Isle of Wight County, or Southampton County Virginia’s public or private high schools or a home-schooled graduating senior or, be a then resident of Suffolk, Isle of Wight, or Southampton VA currently enrolled in a Nursing college degree program (LPN, RN).
- Be enrolled, or committed to enroll, in a Nursing college degree program (LPN, RN).
- Preference will be given to students enrolling in a Registered Nurse (RN) college program.
- Demonstrate involvement in either school and community activities, or verification of employment.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or better.
Scholarship application, deadline, and Submission Instructions
You can fill out an application online soon. For any further information, contact Mr. Win Winslow, Executive Director of the Suffolk Foundation, by either emailing him at wwinslow@suffolkfoundation.