Lewis F. Morris Memorial and William L. Whitley Scholarship
The purpose of The Lewis F. Morris Memorial Scholarship is to provide an annual award to one scholarship applicant. The scholarship fund will be sent directly to the attending university or college for the sole purpose of paying expenses.
The Scholarship value will be based on the interest earned off of the investments. The current value of the scholarship is $1,500.
Teacher, Coach, and Principal
Former students of Chuckatuck High School and friends of Lewis F. Morris proudly established the Lewis F. Morris Memorial Scholarship to be presented to a deserving student who follows the example of this former respected teacher, coach and principal. The Suffolk Foundation is honored to have been selected to distribute this worthy scholarship. Mr. Morris, a native of Pound, VA was a teacher, coach, and a principal of Chuckatuck High School from 1952 – 1965. He was a graduate of the University of Virginia and came from a family of educators.
Mr. Morris led by example and was loved by all who knew him. He was a fierce competitor who taught his athletes and other students his highest principles of sportsmanship and fairness. His leadership, friendship, inspiration, dedication, and philosophy that education and discipline will help mold the youth of today into the leaders of tomorrow, was our inspiration to learn.
Each scholarship applicant must, at the time of the award:
- Be a resident of the City of Suffolk
- Be a home-based senior at King’s Fork High School in the City of Suffolk
- Have a cumulative G.P.A. of 2.0 or higher
- Be involved in both school (athletic and extra curricular)and community activities
- Submit a completed application form with an official high school transcript.
- Submit two reference letters from administrators, counselors, teachers, and/or other school personnel.
- Submit an essay of 300 – 500 words of why you believe you should be considered for the Lewis F. Morris Memorial Scholarship.
Application, Deadline, and Submission Instructions
The Foundation will be working directly with the King’s Fork High School counselors in an effort to award one or more deserving seniors The Lewis F. Morris Memorial Scholarship. You can fill out an application online here beginning February 1. The application must be submitted on or before 12 noon (Eastern Time) on the last business day of March. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered. For more information, contact the Foundation staff at office@suffolkfoundation.
Zane Michael Wise
Carlisha M. Bevins
King’s Fork High School