The Suffolk Foundation is both pleased and honored to have been asked to administer the Col. Fred V. Cherry Scholarship, which was established by Mrs. Margaret W. Reid to honor this highly decorated Vietnam Prisoner of the War. Born (1928) and educated in Suffolk, Virginia, Fred Cherry graduated from Virginia Union University in 1951 and entered the United States Air Force that same year. He attended flight school and completed Jet Fighter Pilot training in 1952. After receiving his wings and completing intensive combat training, he flew more than 50 combat missions over North Korea. During the War in Vietnam, Cherry flew over 52 missions and on his last mission, was shot down on October 22, 1965, and was immediately captured. He remained a prisoner of war until the end of hostilities and the return of our POWs on February, 1973. Fred Cherry retired from the military in 1981, during which time he earned 30 plus military awards and decorations including the Air Force Cross, the Silver Star, the Legion of Merit with Oak Leaf Cluster, two Distinguished Flying Crosses, two Bronze Stars, two Purple Hearts, the Air Force Commendation, the Meritorious Service Award, two President Unit Citations, and a Distinguished Unit Citation. (www. pownetwork.org)
- Name: The name of the scholarship shall be the Col. Fred V. Cherry Scholarship.
- Purpose: The purpose of this scholarship shall be to provide recognition and financial assistance to a college-bound, African-American student, graduating from a high school in Suffolk, by providing a non-renewable payment towards the student’s first year educational experience.
- Amount of Award: The amount of the scholarship will be determined each year by the Investment Committee, based on income from the scholarship’s endowment. (Previous awards range from $1,000 – $3,000)
- Eligibility and Selection Criteria: African-American Seniors with a minimum GPA of 2.6 are eligible for consideration. Selection of the winner will be based primarily on the applicant’s financial need and demonstrated leadership ability. Grade Point Average may also be considered.
- Application Procedure: (See Application below)
- Selection of Scholarship Recipient: The Distribution Committee will select a recipient based upon the above criteria by May 10th of each year.
- Distribution: Funds will be paid directly to the College or University that the recipient will attend. Verification of College/University enrollment must be received by the Suffolk Foundation prior to any funds being distributed.
- Term of the Award: The scholarship award will be a one-time award.
2016: Paula Steward, Lakeland High School
2015: Ryan Askew, Nansemond River High School
2014: Destanie Fonoimoana, King’s Fork High School
2013: Gabrielle Saunders, King’s Fork High School
2012: Shanice Mason, Nansemond River High School
2011: Shanice L. Hardy, Nansemond River High School
2010: Desmond A. McGlone, Lakeland High School
Scholarship application, deadline, and Submission Instructions
The Foundation will be working directly with the four high school counselors in an effort to award one deserving senior the Col. Fred V. Cherry Scholarship. Your school counselor should have copies of the scholarship available to you by February 1 of each school year, or you can fill out an application online here beginning February 1. For any further information, contact Mr. Win Winslow, Executive Director of the Suffolk Foundation, by either emailing him at gro.noitadnuofkloffus@wolsniww or by calling (757) 923–9090. The application must be in the Foundation office at 110 West Finney Avenue, Suite 100 on or before 12 noon, the last business day of March. Therefore, it will be necessary, if mailing the application, to have the application in the mail well in advance of the last day of March. Applications received after 12 noon on the last business day of March will not be considered.
Beginning February 1, you can fill out an application online here, or request an application by sending an email to gro.noitadnuofkloffus@wolsniww, or calling (757) 923-9090 to have an application mailed to you.
U.S. Post Mail Address for Application Submission:
110 West Finney Avenue, Suite 100
Suffolk, VA 23434