The purpose of the Amy Phelps Art Scholarship is to provide an annual award to one scholarship applicant. The annual award will be given for the sole purpose of paying for college expenses. The Scholarship will be a grant awarded to one qualified applicant and funds will be sent directly to the college or university, once enrollment has been verified.
Amy Phelps, Local Artist
The Amy Phelps Art Scholarship was established in the name of Amy Phelps, a local artist, who lost her life in a tragic car accident. It is with excitement and gratitude that the Suffolk Foundation has been asked to manage this worthwhile scholarship. It gives the Foundation and the Phelps family much pleasure to assist a local student follow in Amy’s footsteps and fulfill their dreams. The $2,000 scholarship is available to local high school graduating seniors who are pursuing a career in art and who have a minimum 3.0 GPA. Graduating seniors from the following school systems are eligible to apply: Southampton, Franklin, Windsor, Smithfield, Surry, Sussex, or Southampton Academy.
- Student must be a graduating senior from one of the following high schools: Southampton, Franklin, Windsor, Smithfield, Surry, Sussex, or Southampton Academy.
- The graduate must be pursuing a career in art in college
- A minimum 3.0 GPA is required to apply
- Two recommendations are required – one must be from the students high school art teacher and one other personal reference
- No more than 3 Copies or Photocopies of your art work are to be furnished with the application
- A two hundred work essay entitled “What Has Influenced My Love For Art and How Will It Enhance My Future.” is required
2016: Nicole Vasilauskis, Smithfield High School
2015: Tanisha Parson, Surry High School
- Submit a completed application form with an official high school transcript.
- Submit two reference letters from administrators, counselors, teachers, and/or other school personnel.
Scholarship application, deadline, and Submission Instructions
Scholarship applications will be available to selected high school no later than February 1 of each year. Once the application and all requirements are completed, the application must be submitted to the Suffolk Foundation. The application must be received no later than the last business day of March. Applications received after 12 noon on the last business day of March will not be considered. Make sure all applications are complete with all required documentation provided as requested. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Download the Amy Phelps Art Scholarship application here or request an application by sending an email to email@example.com, or calling (757) 923-9090 to have an application mailed to you.
U.S. Post Mail Address for Application Submission:
110 West Finney Avenue, Suite 100
Suffolk, VA 23434