The purpose of the Amy Phelps Art Scholarship is to provide an annual award to one scholarship applicant. The annual award will be given for the sole purpose of paying for college expenses. The Scholarship will be a grant awarded to one qualified applicant and funds will be sent directly to the college or university, once enrollment has been verified.
Amy Phelps, Local Artist
The Amy Phelps Art Scholarship was established in the name of Amy Phelps, a local artist, who lost her life in a tragic car accident. It is with excitement and gratitude that the Suffolk Foundation has been asked to manage this worthwhile scholarship. It gives the Foundation and the Phelps family much pleasure to assist a local student follow in Amy’s footsteps and fulfill their dreams. The $2,000 scholarship is available to local high school graduating seniors who are pursuing a career in art and who have a minimum 3.0 GPA. Graduating seniors from the following school systems are eligible to apply: Southampton, Franklin, Windsor, Smithfield, Surry, Sussex, Isle of Wight Academy, or Southampton Academy.
- Student must be a graduating senior from one of the following high schools: Southampton, Franklin, Windsor, Smithfield, Surry, Sussex, Isle of Wight Academy, or Southampton Academy.
- The graduate must be pursuing a career in art in college
- A minimum 3.0 GPA is required to apply
- Two recommendations are required – one must be from the students high school art teacher and one other personal reference
- No more than 3 Copies or Photocopies of your art work are to be furnished with the application
- A two hundred work essay entitled “What Has Influenced My Love For Art and How Will It Enhance My Future.” is required
Tanisha Parson, Surry High School
- Submit a completed application form with an official high school transcript.
- Submit two reference letters from administrators, counselors, teachers, and/or other school personnel.
Scholarship application, deadline, and Submission Instructions
You can fill out an application online here beginning February 1. Once the application and all requirements are completed, the application must be submitted to the Suffolk Foundation on or before 12 noon, Eastern Daylight Time, on the last business day of March. Make sure all applications are complete with all required documentation provided as requested. Applications received after the deadline, and incomplete applications, will not be considered.